What is Hunters Education About?
- Hunter Safety
- Firearms Safety
- Wildlife Conservation
- Game Identification
- Responsible Hunting
- Ethical Hunting
- Outdoor Safety
Who Needs a Hunters Education Certificate?
- Any Louisiana hunter born after September 1, 1969.
- Anyone hunting in some states outside of Louisiana.
What are the Requirements to get a Louisiana Hunters Education Certificate?
- Be at least 10 years old to receive a Hunters Education Certificate.
- 10 and 11 year olds must be supervised while hunting.
- Active duty or armed force veterans or current POST certified Law Enforcement may apply for an exemption certificate. Exemption certificates are valid only in Louisiana.
- To obtain a Hunters Education Certificate you must successfully complete the Hunters Education Course. This course is offered in two formats.
- The traditional classroom format that includes a live fire field day exercise. This may be a multi day format. Students must complete both parts on consecutive days. Firearms and ammunition are provided.
- The home study format that consists of an on-line class that can be taken at the students own pace and a live fire field day session. Students must bring a printed copy of the on-line completion certificate to the live fire field day session. Note that the Field Day for the on-line class is different from the Field Day for the Traditional class and may not be substituted.Firearms and ammunition are provided.
- Pre-registration for these dates is mandatory. At least 15 persons must be pre-registered by noon on the Friday before the class or the class will be cancelled.
- Students are advised to arrive at the class at least 30 minutes prior to the start of the class.
- Personal firearms and ammunition will not be used during the Field Day exercise. You may bring your firearms to shoot at the range following the class. Please leave them in your vehicle until the class is over.
What does a Hunters Education Course Cost?
- Hunters Education courses are free. The vendors that administer the on-line portion of the course may charge a small fee.Hunters Education courses are taught by LDWF Education Program staff and volunteer instructors. The majority of courses are taught by volunteers who donate their time to teach hunter education. Volunteers undergo background checks and receive training and oversight from LDWF staff.
Where Do I Find Out More About the Louisiana Hunters Education Program?
Where Do I Sign Up For a Hunters Education Class?
Honey Island Shooting Range Hunters Education Pictures